Saturday, March 26, 2011

why we do what we do

I like baking because it's methodical, way more methodical than cooking. Cooking is expressive and free and definitely an art form... so is baking but in a different way. There are a lot of variables to cooking... the great thing about it is you can experiment and pretty much it's going to come out right with the correct foundations. Baking is a science. If I add baking soda and baking powder to a muffin it's going to be light as air. If I forget the vanilla in a cupcake (speaking from experience) then a subtle undertone is missing that you just can't put your finger on. I know the limits I have within a recipe... I make addendum all the time, but the methodical nature behind baking is one of the most relaxing qualities of it. I KNOW beyond a shadow of a doubt that butter, confectioner's sugar, a little bit of milk and cream cheese equals an amazing frosting. Adding salt to sweet things like chocolate or caramel will always boost and balance the flavor. I like the fact that 1 + 1 + 2 = 4 every time in the baking world. I also know that when I get "expressive" I still understand the science behind it, which allows me to BE expressive, and it comforts me.

Is that weird?

I think I like the fact that when my baking adventures turn into successes I don't feel like I'm failing as much in other aspects of my life. I might be insecure in THIS random area in my life, but here. Let me feed you. This tastes good. You are smiling. I did something right. Here. Keep eating and smiling.

Pet peeve: when I give someone a baked good and they HOOVER it down without really tasting it. Odd pet peeve right?  I like... LOVE food and I enjoy savoring things so when that favor isn't returned I get a bit sad but I just never say anything cuz that's rude. But for real... if someone is going to spend the time and their butter, sugar, flour & eggs to make you something amazing you better ACT like it's the first and LAST confectionery treat you'll ever get - cuz it might be! that goes for anyone though...

It's interesting why we do the things we do. This is a small part of the reason why I like to bake. There are other parts that I'll let you in on later. : )

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails