Wednesday, April 25, 2012

SLW Guest Post: What I Miss About Being Single

If you'd like to just completely disregard my previous SLW post you go ahead and do it because my good friend, Katherine of Gathered Heart is honoring us with a guest post today! I'm not gonna lie... I'm SO EXCITED. I met Katherine at Olivet and immediately told her she looked like Mandy Moore. Real life, guys. We bonded over a love of typography, cardigans and Starbucks. She's a true friend, that one.


You will LOVE her. Did I already tell you to read her blog? Cuz yeah do that now.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Why hello there single ladies and fellow SLW readers!
I am no longer a single lady myself, but I’m so excited to be writing a guest post for Abby today. I’m happily married to a total stud and my best friend, but there are definitely some things I miss about being single. And because I also love things in list form, I thought I’d share with you a list of the single lady things I miss most:

Mealtimes
As a single woman, the dinner options are endless. Linguini noodles with garlic, salt and butter? Oh yeah. A bowl of ice cream? Totally dinner (as long as you throw in a chopped banana for good measure, of course.) An entire asiago cheese focaccia loaf from Panera? Do it, love it. These meals are definitely not suitable for husbands, especially since they don’t contain meat and are about 80% carbohydrates. Enjoy them while you can.
Panera
Speaking of Panera, no way you’ll be eating there again once you’re married. Most husbands hate that place. And if you happen to treat yourself there on your lunch break, you’ll never hear the end of it. Why would you want to pay $10 for a tiny salad and half a sandwich? Who cares if it has feta cheese and artichoke hearts? It’s not even that good! Oh man. What I wouldn’t give for an orange cream scone right now…  
Skin Care
My single lady nightly routine was intense… I would probably spend a good 20 minutes in the bathroom before bed: exfoliating and moisturizing my face, inspecting pores, plucking at my unruly eyebrows, etc. Is that excessive? Sure. But it was oddly relaxing. Now that I’m married, Christopher complains (like any other man) if I spend too much time in the bathroom. My routine has simplified to an all-in-one Burt’s Bees towelette. It gets the job done, but it’s just not the same. 
Being Pants-less
Like Abby (and many of you ladies, I’m sure), I hate wearing pants. But when you’re married, you can’t just walk around your house without pants. I mean, of course you can, but it’s basically an unspoken invitation for sex. Don’t get me wrong, I love getting it on… but sometimes, when I take off my pants, it simply means I don’t want to wear them. I’ve had a long day and just want my legs to be free! The same idea applies to going braless.
Alone Time Habits
I think it’s pretty well-known that people do embarrassing things when they’re alone. I tend to sing and dance a lot. The thing about marriage is… you’re never really “alone.” A few months ago, I was home alone washing the dishes and singing along to “I’m A Lady” by Santogold. As the chorus broke out, I pointed to my face with my index finger, bobbed my head and wailed “I’m a laaaaaaaadieeeeeee” while attempting to moonwalk along the kitchen floor. Are you picturing this in your head? I looked so stupid. It was at this exact moment in time that Chris came home and walked into the kitchen. I have no reason to be embarrassed in front of my husband because he knows me completely and loves me in spite of my flaws… but I was. Sooo embarrassed. And he still teases me about it.
Shopping
When you’re single, your money is your money and you can spend it however you please. Many of my single lady paychecks were spent entirely at Target. Now a’days, I have to limit my weekly Starbucks intake and avoid the sales section at Old Navy. Sure, it’s responsible and sensible, but it’s also sad because I love me some retail therapy. Single ladies, do this for me: go and buy that cute sweater/pair of shoes/necklace that you’ve been eyeing. Do it and don’t think twice about it. 

So, my dear single ladies, please… enjoy these things while you can. Live up your single-dom as much as possible. Trust me, you’ll miss it when it’s gone.  I love my husband dearly and wouldn’t change my life for a thing, but sometimes… I just want to eat Panera without being questioned. I want to spend $50 at Target and buy a venti caramel macchiato while I’m there.
I hope you’ve enjoyed my post for the day – now go out and enjoy the freedom known as singleness!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't lie about laughing aloud multiple times... I know you did! Thank you, Katherine for sharing your amazing thoughts with us! 

The funny this is I just did all of this TODAY. Sang like an idiot in my kitchen while making a lunch of Trader Joe's french fries ONLY. I just saw a swing pea coat at Gap annnd bought it, and my mom wants to go to Panera for dinner. I mean you really don't know how good you have it til someone writes it DOWN. 

*read more Single Lady Wednesday Posts here.

**if you like to be featured on a SLW guest post feel free to email singleladyblujay{at}me.com with submissions!

1 comment:

  1. Man this is soooo great. Hands in the air for wishing I still had free reign at Starbucks.. and Target..

    I am at the point where I go pantless or braless and REFUSE to care. Some days there just can't be pants. Or bras. And in all honesty.... sometimes no underwear under the pants. Because I don't feel like it.

    So great so SO great. I love SLW!!!

    <3 <3 <3

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails