Wednesday, October 22, 2008

It was a dark and stormy night? It was Monday.

Like the title says it was Monday... and I was sitting in my apartment enjoying "How I Met Your Mother" theatre style, which, of course, means lights off and possibly a cup of Oreo Cookies and Cream ice cream in my hand. (Probably) I was just settling down when I heard a faint knocking sound. I thought nothing of it and kept watching... slash eating the frozen deliciousness. Then the knocking got louder. Loud enough for me to turn my volume down and really listen.
"The neighbors are REALLY hammering something into the wall at this time of night? Come on. Save it for the day time."
I turned the volume back up and kept enjoying.
The knocking became more consistent... and louder... and closer. I started looking out windows and up at the ceilings and down at the floor.
I yelled to my mother, "Mom! Quit hammering so late!" There was no response. I got up to look and she was already asleep. What IS that noise?
Not thinking about it any more I sat down to watch whatever I was watching. By that time I was so distracted I didn't care what was on.
Suddenly there was clanging all around me and I jumped off the couch. The floors and windows began to shake as the clanging got louder and louder it sounded like something was getting closer. Whatever it was.
Clang, clang, clang, clang CLANGCLANGCLANG!!
Then as quickly as it started... it stopped. And then... I heard it.
k-k...kssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss
The windows started to fog up... and still the sound ksssssssss came low and slow and steadily louder. I rushed over to all the lamps and switched them on then stood stock still in the middle of the room. A warmth rushed over me and my toes began to wiggle.
I realized the commotion was just what the radiators do when the heat comes up. It happens every night. And I'm totally used to it... but Monday nights will never be the same.

*somewhere a pipe organ plays scary music*
boo.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails